So the funeral is over.
It was a pretty incredible event, escpecially for our little city. The turnout for the viewings where almost double what they where in DC, the roads where packed 10 deep all along the processions, the crowds where incredibly civil and respectful.
It was definately something I’ll never get to experience again, and although I didn’t really know much about Jerry Ford, I learned a great deal this week and found a new respect for him and what he did for this nation in a time of uncertainty.
- Only person to hold office without having been elected either President or Vice President
- Was defeated for re-election by Jimmy Carter. The 2 became close freinds later.
- The Ford administration saw the withdrawal of American forces from the Vietnam War
- He put together the Helsinki Accords
- Laid the foundary for the Camp David Accords
- Pardoned Richard Nixon
- Was a WW2 Navy Hero
- Was the only president who achieved Eagle Scout status
- Played linebacker at U of M and helped the Wolverines to undefeated seasons and national titles in 1932 and 1933
- Got his law degree from Yale
- Was a Freemason
- Survived 2 asassination attempts
- Sat on the Warren Commission
Ive posted several pictures on my Flickr account of the 2 days events.